I have found a wonderful method of polishing silver that does not involve the difficult task of rubbing with a polishing cloth or using any toxic substances.
This works with sterling silver and pearls, as it does not harm the pearl. It does not work with gold fill jewelry.
- In an aluminum pie plate or aluminum pot add:
- a squeeze of dish soap
- a spoon of baking soda (no exact amount)
- boiling water
- Submerge the silver jewelry into the solution and let it sit about 2 minutes
- After a few minutes, pick out the jewelry and see if it looks brighter. If not, put back into the solution.
- When it looks cleaner - pull out of solution and rinse well with cool water
- Dry exremely well with paper towels first, then with a blow dryer, or place in sun. It is very important to dry thoroughly as moisture can oxidize silver